If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Okay, okay! I know its been 2 weeks since I've posted. I've been waiting for some inspiration so I woudn't bore anyone to tears with mundane recounts of daily life. It didn't happen, so this is what you're getting. Let's see, we got Cade signed up for baseball, and found out who his coach is going to be, and I'm very happy (threatening him last year, when he didn't take Cade, seems to have paid off). We have 2 more weeks of basketball, then spring break!



Missy and Hayden spent Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday with us this week, and we enjoyed having them here. Tuesday we went to Texas Children's for Hayden's opthalmologist appointment. They changed the prescription for his glasses, and were able to refer us to a place that would fit and order his glasses. His first two pair had to be ordered from California because no one locally would take him. Insight Optical in Houston came highly recommended, and we were extremely impressed with them. There is nothing like working with people that are knowledgable and like what they are doing. It also didn't hurt that they were less than half of the cost of the previous pairs! So, we were pleased with accomplishing that. Wednesday we took them home (much to my kids' dismay) and are looking forward to Hayden's next visit, the sooner the better.



For Spring Break we have decided to stay at a place on Lake Travis and do things in the area. We will be hitting Fredericksburg for Enchanted Rock and The Nimitz Museum. Austin for their Children's Museum, and perhaps the capitol. Then we're hoping to go to San Antonio towards the end of the week to see the sights and eat yummy food. Oh, um, Amy, do you mind if we come crash at your place for a night or two? My kids are accomplished toilet scrubbers, and clean other people's homes beautifully. This will be our first vacation that doesn't center around swimming pools or other bodies of water, so if anyone has any suggestions for fun stuff we must do or see, we're all ears. The cheaper the better, of course. We are also always on the hunt for the best places to eat. So far, we know we're going to hit the Salt Lick, Rather Sweet Bakery in Fredericksburg, and likely Alamo Springs Cafe. Go ahead, give us your favorites! If you would also like to include gift cards to said places, simply leave your email, and I will gladly forward you my home mailing address!



Last Friday I went grocery shopping. Now, this is a very normal occurence for me. My step dad, Andy, however, was enlightened by the experience. You see, he happened to end up in the line behind me at check out. It being payday, I had done "real" grocery shopping. You know, the kind where you have to stack everything in the cart just so, or it will not all fit. It really should be an Olympic sport. You pull it all off the shelf, into the cart. Out of the cart, onto the conveyor belt at checkout. Back into the cart. Out of the cart, into the car. Out of the car, into the house. Out of the bags, into the refrigerator, and freezer and pantry. Then you get to wrestle all of those annoying plastic bags until they're all put away only to find more when you think you're done. And you just paid several hundred dollars to have this much fun. Poor Andy, I thought he was going to have a stroke when he saw my total that day. $524 and some change. He didn't realize at the time that $200 of that was gas cards (not that $324 is something to sneeze at). I don't think he'll ever even blink at one of my Mom's Walmart receipts again. The really sad part, is that later I began making a mental list of all the things that I didn't get with that. Dogfood, catfood, laundry detergent, eggs, bread, bath soap, I could go on and on. And, of course, before next payday, we'll need more milk, and fresh produce. Andy is now considering raising chickens for me. Thankfully, we have a freezer full of venison. Although with the cost of a hunting license, corn, fuel, and ammo, I'm not sure we're coming out ahead, but I know better than to point that out to Dennis. I am, however, extremely grateful to have the means to shell out the money for all these wonderful groceries. I always tell Dennis, "All it takes to make me feel rich is a pantry full of food, and a sufficient pile of firewood." I am a simple woman.

The citizens of Buna will be pleased to note that we have finally taken down our Christmas lights (we haven't turned them on since New Year's). It only took 8 weeks. We hadn't planned to leave them up, I swear. We even talked about taking them down several times. I, however, was determined that I after I nearly froze putting them up, that I was NOT going to be cold taking them down. So, yesterday, while it was sunny and warm, I made quick work of it. Why is it that the jobs we spend so much time putting off, are the ones that take so little time to complete?

I'll try to not wait quite as long to post again. Sarah

2 comments:

  1. well I don't know about the whole town of Buna but I sure am glad you took those lights down...lol.really didn't even realize they were there...haha. Great post, thanks for sharing...you did forget to leave out the migrane, maybe that was because of the $500 grocery bill..haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. we still have our nativity scene out. haha. my christmas tree is down but sitting on my desk (it's only 2 feet tall).
    if you would like to share any of that wonderful venison, jason and i would adore you!
    mom shops like that too. she shops all at once and freezes lots of things. she stocks up year round for hurricane season too. sometimes, we needed two carts! haha.

    ReplyDelete